History of NBUC
Early Methodist circuit riders brought the gospel to farmers in the area. In 1821 a log cabin on Torbram Road north of North Park Drive became the home of Harrison Methodist Church on land that is now the site of the Harrison Cemetery. In 1876 our ancestors built the brick structure that stands across the street.
Harrison became part of the United Church when it was formed in 1925. By 1983 the presbytery recognized a need to serve families in the expanding community. It appointed the Rev. Norman Greene to work with the congregation.
On Sept. 25, 1983, worship was held in Chinguacousy Secondary School, marking the amalgamation of Harrison United Church with this new group of people to form North Bramalea United Church. The congregation continued to worship in the school.
In 1984 land was purchased at 363 Howden Boulevard. We worked hard to raise the funds to build a place of our own.
In November 1987 we moved into a new building. By 1993 we had become an active congregation of 210 people of all ages.
In 1998 the Rev. Jamie Holtom, who had been a student minister at NBUC, was settled as a member of the ministry team.
By 2003 we were serving 325 people.
In December 2008 we welcomed the Rev. Debbie Johnson to the ministry team.
In March 2009 we moved into our new space, which includes a new sanctuary and lower worship level.
We are now serving close to 1,000 people.
We believe God called NBUC to move into the Brampton neighbourhood of Ardglen/Orenda. The Journey Neighbourhood Centre was established as an Outreach Center/Satellite in November, 2014. In addition to offering support and programs in the neighbourhood, the Sunday Gathering offers weekly worship at 10:30am with a time for food and connection as well as children’s programming. A second community centre was established in Orenda in 2017.